All my primary sources so far, are autobiographical narratives that use various forms of language to unveil the relationship between their identity and the works they write. In her graphic novel, Persepolis, Satrapi uses the language of art and politics to revisit her childhood self in an attempt to understand the impact of the Islamic Revolution she was a part of. Satrapi recreates moments of her childhood during this period of civil war through her drawings, the language in the gutters and in the panels, as well as the dialogue that occurs inside the panels. She made a conscious decision to tell her childhood story through the form of a graphic novel and I’m excited to explore this form and its contents mainly because I want to investigate how politics as a language can be understood by those of a young age, like Satrapi, with all its complexities and struggles. Also how can this form help the reader engage in the perspective of the writer through the pictures and personal events the writer describes? Fun Home is another graphic novel that explores how art and language come together to understand the death of a father. Bechdel uses literary traditions to understand the life and death of a father who lived a life of secrets. This makes me pose the question of how can literary texts allow the writer to uncover emotions or truths that they were not conscious of or did not understand at the moment? The retelling of a story could be an attempt to understand death and war, this reminds me of PTSD. I’m also thinking of writing about The Hunger of Memory by Richard Rodriguez.

So far two of my primary sources are graphic novels, so I have started looking for secondary sources that give me more background on how they work in the literary stage. My first source is Graphic Narratives as a Challenge to Transmedial Narratology: The Question of Focalization by Kai Mikkonen. This will help me understand the elements of the graphic novel and how it transforms the traditional way of storytelling. As I hope to add more of my perspectives on how this form is necessary in a system that can be very rigid. My next source is Simulation, Subjective Knowledge, and the Cognitive Value of Literary Narrative by Scott R. Stroud. This source will help me analyze how Literary Narrative allows the reader to experience a different reality and in doing so help the reader try and answer the same questions as the writer but can see it through a different perspective. I also found a source by Donald Polkinghorne title Explorations of Narrative Identity. I hope to find more sources that deal with narratives and the effect it has on the identities of not only the writers but the readers as well. As well as how the different perspectives shape the experience and response they have to the narratives.

I am really interested in the relationship between identity and language and the different forms that both can take. I’m interested in this relationship because I feel like in society in general it is really hard for others to step into the shoes of those who are different from them. I believe that literacy narratives are a gateway to converging different perspectives in order to understand one another better. In literature, literacy narratives may just be one form of writing but I think they can have a greater importance in society and in the lives of the readers. Literacy narratives allow us to explore smaller real life stories in order to understand and maybe even accept and challenge the much larger accepted norms.